What we have so far.

Oak

What we have so far.

Postby Oak » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:11 am

Hopefully Joe was going to post what we created this week.

i need to see the statements we have so far and the synopsis of the suggestions to have a starting point.

Looking forward to creating something new that can grow and prosper.

Ardenburl
Site Admin

Re: What we have so far.

Postby Ardenburl » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Yep, sent him a message to either come post or email to me so I can post it.

Ardenburl
Site Admin

Postby Ardenburl » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Notes from the Why is Tawn

To grow and nourish the neo pagan community and individual spiritual growth In Tucson
As well as interacting with its greater community as a whole.
Facilitating learning and understanding through rituals, classes and community involvement.

Community awareness and involvement through public activities, including educational events, rituals, volunteer activities, and festivals.

TAWN is organized to promote communication, understanding, and goodwill among the individual members of the Wiccan and Pagan religious communities and, in addition, between those members and the general public. One important task is to educate the uninformed as to the true nature of our religions, as a means to counter prejudice and fear. Our goal is to build a spiritual network based on a love and reverence for Nature. We honor all Goddesses and Gods as valid to those who revere them, and we strive to provide a meeting point for individuals seeking others of like mind. Diversity is welcomed. Each member is expected to harm none while on his/her chosen path. We promote respect for Mother Earth and all Her children (humans, animals, plants, etc.), environmental concerns, and a striving for balance and responsibility in our lives.

Oak

Postby Oak » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Thank you.

I see a lot of commonalty between these statements.

For consideration, here is my first very rough draft at a full statement.

Thank you

Oak.

Additionally we add our unique perspectives and outlooks through participation in civic, social and cultural interactions with the larger city, state and national public.

Ardenburl
Site Admin

Postby Ardenburl » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:17 am

T.A.W.N. (Tucson Area Wiccan-Pagan Network) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to
improving our environment and community, through education, festivals, and public awareness of various Pagan
paths, and assisting various charitable organizations. Building on years of groundwork, T.A.W.N.
has been around since the summer of 1988.

`Not sure who wrote the above but is is on some of TAWN's documentation. May have been Jaimie

Smittk421

Postby Smittk421 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:04 pm

It looks like we all have a similar aspect to our writings. I started writing something down, and realized I am repeating what everyone else is saying. So, I took bits and parts and came up with this:

T.A.W.N. (Tucson Area Wiccan-Pagan Network) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose goal is to promote communication, understanding, and goodwill among the individual members of the Wiccan and Pagan religious communities and, in addition, between those members and the general public. As a means to counter prejudice and fear, we strive to nourish ourselves and others through classes, rituals and community involvement that generates a love of Nature and embraces Diversity.

My brain is now exhausted... time for chocolate and a nap...

Raymond

Postby Raymond » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:12 pm

A suggestion.... replace "to counter fear and prejudice" with something that advances a positive position, and let the waves of prejudice and fear dash themselves to nothing on that rock.

Perhaps "to engender a bold spirit and foster goodwill" or something similar.... spirit, an antonym to fear.... good will, an antonym of prejudice. engender and foster... suggestive not only of being a position, but also and advancement(building?) of intent.

Smittk421

Postby Smittk421 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Excellent suggestion, Raymond! I removed "individual", per Diana's suggestion. Since "goodwill" was used in the first sentence I used another synonym instead:

T.A.W.N. (Tucson Area Wiccan-Pagan Network) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose goal is to promote communication, understanding, and goodwill among the members of the Wiccan and Pagan communities and, in addition, between those members and the general public. As a means to engender a bold spirit and foster compassion, we strive to nourish ourselves and others through classes, rituals and community involvement that generate a love of Nature and embraces Diversity.

How does this sound?

Oak

Moving us forward.

Postby Oak » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:09 pm

I was thinking the same thing.

My whole position has been that we have met the goal of overcoming the at least the most blatant prejudices and fears in the local area.

Most pagans that I know have a very life affirming, positive, personal growth philosophy. It is time for that to shine though.

ESPECIALLY in our "mission statement" we should focus on positive inclusive goals, and leave the negative out of it.

Not to say those issues no longer exist, or that they are still bad in other parts of the country, but but we overcome them by letting our positive strengths shine through, rather then remaining defensive.

And we spent too much energy on defining who we are right now. A functional mission statement if that s even the best terminology for what we are working on, is a living thing, and not only expresses who we are, but who we want to become.

And yes, I want is to start an active discussion. Now is the time for people to express agreement or challenges to my point of view and why. we will all have a clearer focus and hopefully developed a statement that generates excitement in the the existing community and interest in learning more about us.

OAK.

Return to “Why Is TAWN”